Wednesday, September 9, 2015

A Farewell To Summer; Summer Recap

Aloha! I have had one heck of a summer. I'd say that it was easily one of my most favorite summers ever. It was full of plane rides and thousands of driving miles to be reunited with the familiar faces of our loved ones. I spent all summer giving you reading material and now it is time to post all about it! 



Some of you might know this but in April,  Brady left for Panama City to complete the next achievement in his military career. We spent three months doing long distance with only one visit together before his graduation in July. 




When July came, his family and I took the week off from our schedules to go celebrate Brady's amazing achievements. The condo we stayed it was a perfect 3 bedroom beauty right on the beach overlooking the Gulf of Mexico.


Our week was spent laughing, loving, celebrating, swimming, jet skiing, shopping, and above all, enjoying each other's company after so many years apart! We got to tour the base and see the training facility for the military divers. 


 This year was the 100th year of the military diver as well! I got in tons of reading and enjoyed watching the sunsets over the turquoise water of the Gulf. I even dominated the card table a few nights! The memories made that very first vacation together will be ones that we tell for many years to come.


After our PCB adventures Brady and I flew back to visit with our family in Virginia. We spent a great deal of time visiting, playing corn hole, and checking out real estate for our next duty station in Hampton Roads.


I had my very first craftygirlproblems booth at a local artisans fest. It was a great afternoon getting to know other local crafters and showcasing my items.


We had our engagement photos taken by the amazing Amanda Kyle MacDiarmid. Check out her work on facebook by searching Stellar Exposures. She is truly the sweetest. When I met her I felt like I had known her for years! 


The coolest memory from our trip to VA was our 8 mile hike (one way) along Back Bay to False Cape. My cousin Brandon, Brady, and I loaded up back packs full of water, camping gear, a tent, food, and all other materials required to rough it in the woods for a few days. The sun was brutal and the bugs were relentless but a new tradition was made. I came back with stronger, more fatigued muscles, 100 mosquito bites, and higher self confidence. Our bodies had endured the relentless beating of hiking with 25- 30 lb packs and our minds had flourished amongst the wilderness. There's talk of starting a hiking group, so get your gear ready!


When our time in Virginia was over, my little family and I jumped in a car and headed to Michigan for the last leg of our leave. Brady's Mom, Connie, (and sister, Breeann) had spent months planning our engagement party on August 8th.



For the first time in my life, I was able to have all of my immediate family together in one place. Connie and Gary hosted our back yard engagement party at their home. Not only did they host the party, they hosted any and all who wanted to spend the weekend with us. Most of my family drove in from Ohio and Virginia while Brady's family drove in from all over Michigan. From Thursday to Sunday we had late night card games, laughs, fires, cocktails, and a blast.  





I took advantage of having all of my moms (Angie, Janet, & Connie) and all of my sisters (Chelsey, Brittany, Jessica, & Bree) in one place and we headed to Becker's Bridal in Fowler, MI to look at wedding gowns. I held off trying on any wedding dresses for 8 months just for this occasion.





 The following afternoon we were surrounded by all of our loved ones who had traveled to town to attend our engagement party. We received tons of love, hugs, gifts, and even an Irish blessing. Thank you family, for coming to celebrate with us and thank you again for hosting such a momentous occasion, Connie & Gary! 

After our party week, we headed to the lake house and spent a few glorious R & R days soaking in sunshine on a pontoon with Brady's Dad, Paul and Bev. It was here that I learned that Demo really does like cats. My cat Annabelle has been with my mom during our time in Hawaii. What a reassurance!


When our R &R was up we jumped back into the car for venue 'shopping' in Northern Michigan. I had no idea the amount of Wineries in Michigan's Leelanau Peninsula! It's heavenly up there! After an afternoon of venue shopping we met Brady's best man, Ron and his wife Juliet along with Brady's best woman, Rachel at our cabin for a weekend of fun. You know Rachel if you've been a reader throughout this blog's history. We had the fortune of spending our HI life adventures together before she moved off the island.




 Anyway, we did the Leelanau Wine Tour and collected bottles of wine, glasses, and took inventory of potential venues. I was even able to FINALLY go to the Cherry Republic. I had been hearing all about the Cherry Republic from Brady, who is a HUGE fan of their cherry wine. What's better than wine you ask? Cherry wine! Connie sends us packages of all the goodies that the Cherry Republic  has to offer and it was such a treat to finally see the storefront. Unfortunately, we don't live in an area that they ship the cherry wine to.  That's okay though because for our party, Connie supplied a dozen bottles of their wine. Brady drank at least 8 of those all by himself throughout the weekend, dubbing him the nickname "The Cherry Bomb."  We stocked up on all of our favorite Michigan wines for the sole purpose of choosing our favorites to supply at the wedding.



When our wineo weekend was over it was time to say goodbye to our family and get ready for our next journey. Only this journey is one Brady and I are off to do separately. My love has headed off to his duty station on a military boat, while I secure our future for our VA duty station and plan our wedding in October 2016.


Our hearts are so full from the love we share and the love that we have received from our loved ones this summer. After being so far away for so many years with only short visits which where usually done separately, this summer has been such a blessing. It's been such a joyous time in our lives and that fact that we get to share it with everyone back on the mainland makes it even more special to us. Having had all of our immediate family and closest friends together to celebrate our love, our future, and Brady's success just makes my heart so full. Seriously, my cup runneth over.



All of my love and aloha,

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment