Saturday, May 14, 2016

Five Years Strong

I spent the whole day yesterday socially detached. I usually spend the week prior to our 'D Day' writing all the things I want to say to honor the significance of Colton's anniversary date; To honor his fight. Not so much this year.  I 'pulled a Colton' if you will. He once spent his whole entire birthday party pretending to be asleep because he didn't want to  participate socially. Yesterday, I got in my car, ran my errands, and went over to spend my evening crafting and cuddling with Colton. And we all 'pulled a Colton' together shutting out the world.



Usually  I spend May 13th telling you Colton's survival story along with statistics on near drowning or how preventable it is. It's 100% preventable by the way... I remind everyone how May is Near Drowning Prevention Month and to give your undivided attention to your kiddies around even 2 inches of water. This year on May 13th, I just wanted to hold Colton tighter and tell him how very proud we are of him and how much he is loved. I only wanted to share my words on the day with him. I could save my words for tomorrow and soak up every ounce of today with the one person it mattered to the most.

Today is a new day and once again I owe it to that little boy to be his voice and share his story. Hopefully by doing so we help prevent other families from walking down this same path. Over the years, thousands of people all over the globe have read my posts about Colton and Near Drowning Awareness. I hope that those thousands of readers and the thousands to come can help us save these babies by sharing these stories. The best way to prevent drowning is just by being present and watching closely. Put your phone down, clean that mess up later, it only takes a minute for your whole world to change. Most of you reading this already know Colton's story but for those of you new around here, let me share the facts about his accident and brain injury.

When Colton was two years old his mother Natasha was deployed with the US Navy and he was left in the care of his nanny. On Friday May 13, 2011, 4 months into his mother's deployment, he found his way outdoors through an unlocked sliding door and fell into the swimming pool. Colton was found face down and unresponsive. He had no heartbeat. He was given CPR and they saved his life by restarting his heart on the way to the hospital. He has been fighting every day since. He is a survivor. It's been five years and one day since that typical two year old left us and became this champion boy. Five years strong.





Every year there is a rush of emotions for Tasha and I. I would imagine it's the same for all of those close to Colton but it's strongest with us. We formed that bond long ago and we don't even have to discuss it. It's just there. When the new year comes and spring follows, we just know each other's hearts. Even right now, I am having a hard time finding the words to describe it to anyone else.
This year I took all of those emotions of grief that came rushing back and I fueled it into power.  I woke up this morning May 14th at 5 am, laced up my running shoes, and headed out the door to run in the Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters 8k race. I used all of the pain, pride, anger, joy, and love to push my body to run for Colton; To support Colton and to support a place that has saved his life and bettered his life tons of times. This particular race is heavy for me.  I knew that I had to run it and bring my little love another medal home. His strength gives me strength. My body is in motion because his can't be. My legs running are for his legs that cannot. He runs through me. 

The weeks after the accident we got about a dozen people together to walk the 2 mile family walk in honor of our little guy in the TCU at CHKD. I made ribbons and shirts with that little 2 year old pre-accident Colton face on it and we all walked tall together. We had no idea what the road ahead would look like or where it would lead. We had our hope and our survivor so we had it all.


Today I literally ran down those same roads we used to drive twice a day, every day for the many months Colton was hospitalized. I expected to ball my eyes out the entire way; to feel the pain and fear we had 5 years ago. But I didn't. I shed tears when Team Hoyt began the race leading the pack of runners. As I rounded a street corner and passed the Ronald McDonald House that housed Tasha and her family during the darkest hours, a few more tears came. Funny thing though, I didn't cry out of sorrow. I cried because I couldn't hold in all of my joy and pride. Look how far we have come. Colton is five years strong. We are five years strong. This amazing boy has survived his near drowning incident for five years when only 4% of near drowning kids survive past the first week. 5 years... 5 years is amazing. 5 years is huge.





When doing these x year strong posts I like to look up the most current national drowning statistics. Unfortunately, I was unable to get up to date US statistics for 2015 and 2016. I also like to explain that for the few who survive the initial drowning, it's only the beginning of a long journey in navigating through a traumatic brain injury. Once a brain is oxygen deprived, it becomes damaged and doesn't function the same way. When the brain no longer controls the body the same way, things get chaotic. The body can forget how to do the most basic things such as breathing, blinking, the slightest of muscle movements, swallowing, communicating, etc. Colton's injuries left his body unable to swallow and clear mucus. This left his airway blocked and requiring the use of a trach and suctioning. He also requires machine feeding through a G-J tube in his belly. It takes time, medicine, great doctors, caregivers, family, friends, patience, love, and so much more to stabilize and create a new normal. With a new normal comes a regimen of medications to make the body function as it should. With this regimen of medications comes side effects that could back track or halt any progress that has been made leaving parents and doctors to problem solve for solutions. Don't even get me started on allergies, weakened immune systems, and cold and flu season.


We know that children ages 1-4 are the most at risk for drowning and boys being the highest percentage. Drowning is 100% preventable and water safety is key. Children can drown a foot away from you in a pool or in two inches of tub water. Supervision is key. Fence off those pools, add door alarms, take your children to swimming classes, and most importantly, pay really close attention. A year or two after the accident we learned about 'secondary drowning.' It isn't as common but it is also something to watch out for. Basically, inhaled water builds up in the lungs and causes chest pain and trouble breathing lowering oxygen levels. Secondary drowning is serious and it too is preventable.

So today, May 14th, 2016, here are my words and the reminder of Colton's story and I hope that by sharing, we are able to save another child from drowning. Please help us prevent the unthinkable by spreading water safety awareness. Simply talking about it can save lives.






Colton, my giant little love, I thank you for being the sweet, silly, and kind child that you are. You are such a blessing to us. I hope you know how truly one of a kind you are and how much of a difference you have made to this world the 7 years you have been sharing your beautiful light. I love you so very much and I am so thankful to have you, my little love.



-Erin






More about Near Drowning  and Colton's x Years Strong:










No comments:

Post a Comment