Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hurricane Ana & Hiking The Pali Puka

Aloha! This past weekend was a gorgeous rain storm from Hurricane Ana. We never really get rainstorms on the island so I enjoyed every minute of the cool winds and the sound of rain patter.  The whole neighborhood was flooded so I whipped out my rain boots and got to watch the boys skim board on our flooded lawn. I was even the crazy lady suggesting helmets once they amped up their skim boarding in the yard to being pulled behind the truck. Thankfully, no one was hurt. 



 Anyway, we were able to squeeze in some one on one time with nature this past week before the storm hit. I am constantly begging Brady to go out and hike this island with me and he finally agreed to hike the Pali Puka. I am serious when it comes to hiking this island, let me tell you. He always enjoys our hikes but he has a million other things he would rather be doing than trekking through the Hawaiian jungle with me.  


So the hike is hidden off of the side of the Nu'Uanu Pali Lookout. If you remember, I did a post on the Pali  Lookout last year during one of our bike adventures. In all honesty the Yelp reviews on this hike had me a little freaked. People said that this hike was more mental than physical and at some portions you had LITERALLY NOTHING  to hold on to at some of the sketchiest parts of the hike. Let me tell you, most of these things were true. I would say that it's equally challenging for the muscles and the brains. The fact that you are literally scaling a mountain with the strong force of the wind pushing you over with nothing to grab on to but trees and shrubs freaked. me. out. This is my favorite view of the island so I sucked it up and kept on trekking. Every angle of this hike is a view and every view of this hike is phenomenal.
    



Do you see that paved lookout area around the center of the picture? That's the actual look out area where I snapped the photos from the last Pali blog post. Also, you can see our white truck in the parking lot and all of the busloads of tourists. I hope that no matter where I go, I always get to find the secret and amazing 'local' perspective and not just the tourist perspective. There is always so much more to the story and the beauty. 


Brady put up with my mountain top yoga and snapped a few of these photos. It was such a challenge finding rocks that I was able to balance on because they weren't level and the wind was working against me. I love how these shots came out though. Look at Kaneohe Bay in the distance. 



Aloha Lives!




Hey, look! It's Honolulu!


  








This ornery jerk decided that he wanted to hang off of the side of the mountain for me to take a photo. I freaked outttttttt. Like instantly started having a panic attack and crying. I have never in my life had that reaction. I still got the shot while I was freaking out. He still teases me and says I could have gotten a better angle of him. 


The Ko' Olau Mountains are so breathtaking. 


Here's one of those sketchy areas where the thin path and the drop off met. 


The panorama shots are always my favorite from every hike we do! One of these days I'll do a post of just panoramas.



I hope you enjoyed our hiking photos as much as we do! I'll be back soon to tell you all about my trip to  Iolani Palace. I've been packing every day off of work full of these beautiful island experiences and my blogging fingers will release all of these awesome stories soon! I've also go some craftygirl stuff coming your way!

Mahalo, 
Erin





No comments:

Post a Comment