Sunday, June 21, 2015

My 1st Place Win; iRunforColton


Aloha,

I was just sitting down this morning drinking my coffee and writing in my journal when I realized that I never shared my races from this season! It's been a slow spring race season for me. In complete honesty I shied away from running these last six months or so. Slowly though, I am regaining my momentum starting with a bunch of 5ks. If you're not a runner or have no idea of distance, that's a 3.11 mile run. Now at my peak in November, I was running any where from 6- 10 miles a few times a week and feeling unstoppable. Then we moved to Waikiki and I couldn't run in the dirty city air. We had just moved away from the country on Oahu and I needed that clean air for my best results. Ever since the move, I've been primarily a treadmill runner or even just a park runner. I used to head out to Kapiolani Park and watch the local kids play soccer while I ran around the park or even laugh at the tourist learning how to snorkel in the Pacific. Fast forward a few months and I just slowed down with working out all together. I still stay active and I still focus on hitting my daily activity goal on my fitbit, I just stopped logging all those miles. I made my daily life more about constantly being active instead of going to work out for a few hours. Then add on top the fact that Brady and I are long distance again and I got suuuper slowed down. I missed my guy, I didn't want to go run a bunch of miles! Then the lack of motion got me even lower so I laced up them shoes and started back on my running journey.


Now I have never, ever claimed to be an awesome runner. It's just something I've always done. Ever since high school, It's been my go to stress reliever. I run alone and I have no formal training. When I was at my peak last year I was able to withstand up to ten miles and still averaged a ten minute mile. I was so proud of myself today when I could finish 6 miles in 60:16. I am a slow runner but I am better at pacing for distances rather than having a speedy mile. It's just what I do and I am okay with that.


Last year Colton's mom, Natasha told me that there were people out there running and dedicating their races to some awesome people who couldn't get out there and race for themselves, Colton included. I LOVED THAT IDEA! So, every run (including practice runs) I have done in the last year has been for my little man. This race season, I had a super awesome shirt made to show everyone why I am out there doing what I do. 


  Granted, I have only ran two official races this season, I am on track to where I want to be. I searched all of the races in my area and mapped out a race schedule that my budget and schedule allowed. I have my goal set on the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in September. I found my favorite charities and also used that as a guideline for my season. The second race I participated in was one for The Wounded Warrior Project. I cannot think of any better charity than that who helps our military.
                                                                                                  
 On race day I over anticipated how long it would take me to get to the location of the race. I showed up an hour early drinking my Ningxia Red to prepare my body for this race. It's made by Young Living and It's full of superfruit, essential oils, and infuses your body with nutrients. I get it apart of my Young Living membership and I am hooked! Anyway, I hadn't realized that this race wasn't along the coast, it was actually in the sand. I had never ran any distance in sand until that day. It was very challenging and boy did I get blisters. A few minutes before the race started, I saw my cousin, Nicki whom I had forgotten was signed up for the race as well! She was on her way back from her car with ear buds when the race started so I lingered around for her to join me at the starting line. We started like a minute later than the rest of the crowd but slowly gained momentum. I put in my ear buds and let my feet take charge. There was a random spectator jogging along side me asking me what we were all doing, how far we were running, and why was I running for Colton? This was exactly what I needed half way through the race when my shoes were soaked and heavy from a miscalculation of a wave, my dogs were barking, muscles burning, and I swear that sun was blazing. I used that fuel and charged on to cross the finish line. 



Afterwards, while recovering with water and a banana, I cheered as the rest of the runners made their way back. We waited for the awards to be called. I was taken completely by surprise when I heard my time and name called. I won first place in Women's age division, 20-29 and I was the 11th person to cross the finish line! For my first time in sand, that's not too shabby! This was the first time that I have gotten first place at anything competitive and strictly solo. I am so proud of myself! 



  


After the race, Nicki and I made a plan to run the next Wounded Warrior Project race at the same location on July 5th. We have a little over two weeks to keep training for better results. I felt the motivation after getting that medal! I celebrated my victory with a shower and a waffle. This could quite possibly be my victory meal every race.
Colton is now my motivation for running. Before, it was a hobby and now I feel that it is apart of his cause. He can't run for himself so I want to run as much as I can for him, no matter how much I hurt, or how ugly my feet get. Seriously, it's some major damage. Because I run for Colton, I wanted to share my victory with him too. I have my memories of this race, my pride, but I didn't need the medal. So, I told Colton what I had done in honor of him and gave my cause the 1st place medal the he won through me.




The tooth fairy's favorite customer and his 1st place medal. 


Mahalo for reading!

Erin


If you have any questions about or have interest in becoming a Young Living Essential Oil wholesale member just message or email me. [edriskell1@gmail.com]  Also, if you have any tips for my running game, PLEASE send me all the advice you have. OH and if you are in my area and want a running buddy, email me for that too!






No comments:

Post a Comment